At Lion Walk Church, we celebrated an anniversary at the beginning of November 2016: it was 250 years ago that our church opened its first building on the present site in Lion Walk. So we celebrate our church’s long history at Lion Walk, giving thanks for the faith and dedication of those who, 250 years ago, planted a church and shared a vision of a centre of Christian worship in which God’s glory would be proclaimed. It was wonderful to share fellowship and worship, ending the weekend with the choir leading us in our annual Choral Evensong. We are grateful to all those who attended from our current congregation and those we have not seen for some time, a number of whom had travelled significant journeys to join in the joy of our celebrations.
What does the church do today?
- We offer worship on Sundays: at 10 am, and weekly online worship
- We consider how we can reach out into the community locally, supporting aspects of the life of the town wherever we can.
- We support work around the world as we can, particularly through Christian Aid and Commitment for Life.
- We are affiliated with Amnesty International.
- We hold events for those who attend the church and beyond to strengthen our community in its work and witness.
- We hold study groups for those who wish to explore their faith beyond our weekly worship.
- We offer baptism, weddings and funerals by arrangement with our Minister.
- We encourage the use of the church building in its town centre location for community events and meetings.
- We support Fair Trade and host in our foyer Traders Fair, Colchester’s Independent Fair Trade Shop.
- We host Cards for Good Causes in the autumn.
- We sometimes hold a Christmas Tree Festival in December for all to enjoy as they visit the town centre, including trees thoughtfully decorated by many local groups.
Please search our website for further information and contact us if you would like further information about the church and its work and witness in the town and in the world.